Giving birth underwater? Not just for hippies anymore.
why and how to have a safe, comfortable birth in water
(Birth Matters Course, Session 3)
You may not be a mermaid, but giving birth surrounded by warm, soothing water is not only safe for most moms and babies, but has lots of other benefits for both the birthing mom and baby. This class outlines why and how you can have a safe, comfortable birth in water.
- Learn which moms and babies will benefit the most from birthing in water--and how water can help you throughout the birthing process, even if you do not choose to birth your baby in water
- Get the low-down on the history of waterbirth and why it has been a growing trend among those who want a natural childbirth
- Learn the many benefits of waterbirth for mamas and babies, as well as the possible risks, and ways to minimize the risks
- View several waterbirths and learn what a waterbirth feels like, and how it is different from giving birth on land
- Get tips on the best way to a successful natural childbirth using water and how birth partners can help her during a waterbirth
- Discuss possible obstacles to waterbirth and make a game plan for overcoming them
- Learn how to adapt a landbirth to make it more 'natural childbirth friendly' if a waterbirth becomes a choice that is not the best for you or your baby
About this Class
Instructor: Christelle J. K. Hagen, BfNAE, HCHD. Christelle is an experienced childbirth educator (Apple Tree Family Ministries/Childbirth without Fear method). Christelle has herself experienced three waterbirths--as well as a 'showerbirth', when the waterbirth tub filled up too slowly! Learn more about Christelle.